What is a Mini-Ductless Air System?
Whereas traditional heat pumps and central air conditioning systems force cooled and heated air through ducts, mini-ductless systems deliver air directly to specific areas of a house. These systems combine a small outdoor unit and one or more indoor units. These units require nothing more than mounting capabilities and an electrical connection. Sometimes referred to as split systems, multi-split systems, or split-ductless systems, mini-ductless cooling and heating offer home and business owners a cost-effective way to replace inefficient window units, space heaters, and electric baseboard heaters. They can be installed in home additions, new construction, condominiums, and apartments, or to improve temperature control in specific rooms. Ductless systems can be added to buildings that currently use ducted forced-air systems.
Where Can a Mini-Ductless Air System be Installed?
Our mini-ductless cooling and heating systems focus on individual rooms and living spaces, versus a central system’s one-size-fits-all approach. This makes sense in many older homes. We use Mitsubishi Electric systems. These systems are energy-efficient and flexible. They have been proven by decades of successful use in Europe and Asia and are now becoming more common in the US and are the fastest-growing segment of the American air-conditioning and heating market. They work well in the following uses:
- Hot and Cold Rooms
- Additions and Renovations
- Enclosed Patios
- Homes Without Space For Ductwork
- Larger, Multi-zone Living Spaces.
- Entire Home
Why Should I Choose a Mini-Ductless
System Over a New Central System?
In Pittsburgh, especially in the east end of Pittsburgh in areas like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and Highland Park, many older homes have central hot water heating systems. These systems distribute heat effectively and the various areas of the typical two and one half story home. Many times homes have had no heat in the attic. With mini-ductless systems, we can add calling only units to augment your heating system and we can put them in three different zoned areas for each of the floors of the home, with individual controls for each room.
What are the Benefits of Mini-Ductless?
- Adds Comfort: Adding a ductless system can turn a room into a comfort zone for those too hot or too cold days.
- Remote Controlled: Conventional thermostats that control your whole home are a thing of the past. Control the comfort of each room individually through a portable remote control.
- Energy Efficient: Mitsubishi Electric Heating and Cooling systems use INVERTER technology that uses the exact amount of energy required to heat or cool a room.
- Environmentally Friendly: The ductless unit uses R410A refrigerant, which has zero Ozone Depletion Potential
- Slim and Silent: The outdoor unit is quiet and slim. You can place the units in a wide variety of places compared to a traditional condenser. You can paint to make the style of your interior decor.
- Anti-Allergen Filter: The ductless unit comes with an anti-allergen filter which is removed from the unit to allow for washing of the filter.